Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Inappropriatiated

Tonight we decided to skip out on doing dishes and took our little Meg to her favorite restaurant for a burger. She loves Red Robin, and tonight they had the actual bird running around and saying hello to the kids, which makes Meg especially happy. She also loves the coloring pages, the carousel horses that decorate the place, and the free balloon on her way out. In a sweet 4-year-old moment, we realized as we pulled into our parking spot that Meg was sound asleep in the back seat--at 6:30 pm! She let daddy carry her inside but perked up when she saw that bird! We had a really nice family time tonight, talking about our day and about meeting Julian at Disneyland on Thursday, about going to Art Camp this summer, new princess nightgowns and about Meg's friends at school. It's so amazing to see our girl growing up and having complete conversations with us. Then as we walked back to the car I had another realization: I was not leaning over to hold Meg's hand as we walked. She's so tall now that I don't have to slouch-- even in high heals!

We decided that we needed dessert so we ended up at Starbucks for hot chocolate and vanilla bean scones. There is a beautiful big spreading tree in the parking lot that is lit up with twinkle lights. Meg has always taken issue with with Christmas lights left up after the season (read my post from last February) and she said this tree's lights were "inappropriatiated." This was about the longest word she has ever spoken and it was made even more dramatic by her addition of two extra syllables.

The days are melting away and I already miss my little baby, who is turning into a real little girl! We are staring to see twinklings of who she is and who she may become. What an amazing thing to see the future in the eyes of your child.

In the meantime, you can find me and my Meg curled up on the floor of the living room coloring photocopied pictures of Mary Poppins. Photocopied so we can color them again and again and again and again. . . .

2 comments:

Hamptontoes said...

Traci,
You are a wonderful mother! How lucky Meg is to have you to document all of her special moments. It's funny that I read your blog tonight after having a conversation with my husband tonight about Christmas lights this summer. I have always loved the feel and look of white lights wrapped tightly on a tree's trunk to set the tone for some wonderful al fresco dining. I can't wait to hear what Meg says when she notices them this summer.

Traci Giles said...

She really is funny about those twinkle lights! And yes, she always notices trees decorated at malls and restaurants in the summer, so she will probably have something to say! I need to teach her some more impressive big words. . .